Dates: January 2022.
Age: 16-19 Participants: 20 Location: Cambridge Price: £25*
Are you 16-19? Passionate about film? Interested in a career in the film industry? If so, the BFI Film Academy is for you. This course offers you the chance to be part of our future film industry and is delivered by 104 films’ award-winning film trainers. Don’t miss this fantastic opportunity to navigate your way into the film or creative industries. As a student of the Film Academy, you will have the opportunity to gain the essential skills required to enter the film industry.
104 films are proud to be a partner in the BFI Film Academy Network. We will be running a practical online course in short fiction filmmaking over several weeks with filming taking place in person in Cambridge. Participants will work in teams to create a short film to be showcased at an an event in March 2022 with our partners Watersprite Film Festival. The 20 most passionate and promising young filmmakers who apply will be selected.
Duration: 5 weeks Dates: 8th, 15th, 22nd, 23rd, 29th January and 5th February 2022.
NOTE: The course will be a hybrid with some sessions taking place online, and the shoot taking place in person.
Age: 16-19 Participants: 20 Location: Cambridge Central Library (TBC) Price: £25*
As a student of the 104 films Film Academy:
• You will get hands-on filmmaking experience which will help you to develop practical knowledge and skills.
• You can explore your own creativity and passions in a supportive and dynamic environment.
• You will gain invaluable experience working alongside industry professionals who are respected practitioners in their field.
• You will watch a range of cinema from British independent to specialised films.
• You will work in a team towards the completion of a professional short film.
• You will have the opportunity to complete an Arts Award qualification on the course.
• You will attend an industry networking event at Watersprite film festival in March 2022 where you will have the opportunity to meet and talk with screen professionals about your future career.
• The completed films will also be showcased at Watersprite film festival in a screening for the public.
• Once you have completed the course, you will become part of the growing BFI Film Academy alumni network with access to opportunities such as BAFTA mentorships.
WHO CAN APPLY?
• Any young person who is aged 16–19 year olds on 1st September 2021
• A UK Resident
• Has a passion or talent for filmmaking and an ambition to work in the film industry
• Able to commit to the duration of the course.
• Not currently at university or enrolled
• Have not previously completed a BFI Film Academy course
There are no qualification requirements just a simple application form and we can offer support if you have specific educational needs.
We particularly welcome applications from students with disabilities including non-visible disabilities and mental health issues, or those from an ethnic minority background.
*If you will struggle to pay the course fee, don’t be put off as you will be able to indicate this once you are accepted on the course and bursaries are available. Bursaries will also be made available if you require assistance with travel, childcare or other costs. More information about who can apply for bursaries can be found here
Once you have completed the BFI Film Academy you will become part the growing BFI Film Academy alumni network with access to events such as BAFTA career talks. You will also have the opportunity to complete an ARTS AWARD QUALIFICATION on the course.
After completing the Film Academy course you could also apply for one of the BFI Academy’s seven intensive residential programmes across the country. Residential courses last between one and two weeks and are designed to develop more specialist filmmaking skills. You will work closely with leading industry professionals who will give you a unique insight into the filmmaking business and guide you along the way.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the link below which will take you to the online application form.
PLEASE NOTE you will not be able to draft and save your application before submitting so we recommend drafting your answers into a Word document and copying them into the application form when you are ready to submit.
Once you have submitted your application you will receive an email confirmation that it has been sent.
To apply click HERE
The deadline is 1st December at noon. Applicants will hear back with more details in early December.
The BFI Film Academy is supported by the Department for Education
in England, the National Lottery, Northern Ireland Screen and
Screen Scotland. bfi.org.uk/filmacademy